Tuesday, May 18, 2010

May 17, 2010‏

Dear Friends and Family,

BAPTISM! Yeah! One more fantastic soul who has found the road to peace and eternal salvation through Christ. What a wonderful baptism it was!
Fan Yiwen was baptized on May 15, 2010 into the Xinzhu 3rd Ward of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. She is a 19 year old college student working two jobs while going to school. Wow! She is one busy girl! And her testimony of the Gospel of Jesus Christ is so strong. the day before her baptism we met with her and asked her why she wanted to be baptized. She told us that she has been to a lot of other churches, and they are really good, but she always felt that there was something missing. When she came to our church and started learning the gospel, that part was filled. She knows it is true. Wow! Her testimony blew me away. I have a lot to learn from her example.

Her baptism was wonderful. A few of the members said a few words about why baptism is important and the blessings God has promised us as we embark on this journey. The missionaries in our area - there are eight of us total - sang "Come Thou Fount" for her, and it was fantastic. Our Elders really have great voices! Then one of the members of her ward baptized her. We had to do it twice because the first time her toe came out of the water. She was such a good sport about it! She is so willing to do anything that God commands. After the actual baptism she shared her own personal testimony and then said, "Sister Mac Issac and Sister Collyer are like my mom and my big sister." We joked a little afterwards about who is the mom and who is the sister. :) But really, the spirit was so strong. All that were there could really feel the peace and joy of the Lord. My heart was so full. I felt like I was in a beautiful garden with the breeze blowing through my hair with all of the people I love around me. That is what it felt like for me. I am so grateful for this gospel. It is so true when Jesus said, "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid" (John 14:27). Gods peace is truly whole and complete, and when we follow in Jesus' footsteps, we can find that peace. I know this is true. I have felt it in my own life as I have tried to do the things God expects of me. I am so grateful that despite shortcomings, God loves me enough to grant me this peace.

After the baptism, our Elders were so exhausted from helping us out that they collapsed! Not really. We were learning some relaxation techniques, but it just looks so funny. This is how hard we work our missionaries in Taiwan! (See picture)
MIRACLE! Yeah! This week has brought one HUGE miracle that I am so excited to tell you all about!

We have a family of investigators - Sister Wang and her two children. We have been teaching them for a while, but Sister Wang has been really hesitant to really commit to baptism. The night of Fan Yiwen's baptism, Sister Wang called. She asked us, "What do I need to do to get my family baptized as soon as possible?" Woa! What was that? A MIRACLE, that's what! We are going to meet with her and her children every day this week and next week, and their goal is to be baptized on May 29, 2010. Pray for us! We have a lot of material to cover before their baptismal interview, but I know that all will fall in place if we just trust in God and do our best to prepare. The gospel is true! Their family truly is prepared. They have such fantastic faith, it just took Sister Wang a while to realize it, but now that she has, she is all in! Wow! What a great example of faith and diligence and willingness. It is fantastic!

Last Wednesday we were able to go up to Taipei to visit the Temple. It was a much needed boost. It is amazing the comfort that the temple brings. Sometimes the work is hard. Sometimes I am just to prideful and I do not want to change, but there in the Temple, in the House of the Lord, I am always reminded of my divine heritage, and the power of God. He truly has the power to bring about anything. I know that if we have faith in Jesus Christ we will be able to do things we normally would not be able to do. I was reading in the Bible Dictionary under "Grace" and it talks about this power. I know it is true because every day I pray to God to help me overcome seemingly impossible trials - the language, teaching, contacting, and other things - and every day I feel his support. If we rely on the Grace of Jesus Christ, we really can become more than we could ever imagine. I am so grateful for this knowledge!

In other, more lighthearted news, We took out our garbage this week! Yeah! When we pulled it out and put it all in the kitchen together, it nearly covered the entire floor! We are just so busy that simple little chores get put off until suddenly the task is overwhelming! I think it is one of those funny little ironies of missionary life.
Also, this week one of our zone leaders hit his two year mark on island! Elder Van Wagoner has officially been in Taiwan for two years! Wow! His companion, Elder Yeh, made him this bag to celebrate his 2nd birthday. :) Since a lot of you many not know what "Larry" means, let me briefly explain. A "Larry" is a white guy who comes to Taiwan to find a wife. Yep! I love our Elders!
Well, that is about it for this week! I love you all and hope all is well! Keep sending the letters - they are a huge support!

Love,

Sister Collyer

No comments:

Post a Comment