Tuesday, July 27, 2010

July 26, 2010‏


Dear Friends and Family,

First off, before I forget, I want you all to google mormonmissionarybiz. It is a business report about our mission in Taiwan! And when you see the gigantic life-sized picture of Jesus on the wall of the apartment, that is MY apartment! At least it was last transfer. Ah, this mission is the best. Also, in the latest liahona - the one with the crazy tree of life on the front, there is an article that takes place in Shilin - which is part of my first area in Danshui. Wow!

Anyways, there is seriously no way I could possibly describe all the amazing and miraculous things that happened this week in one email, but I will do my best!

I just want to start by saying how much I absolutely LOVE my companion, Sister Lin. She is fantastic! Doing the work with her is so much fun! We are always laughing and having a good time, and of course bringing people unto Christ. :) I am so happy to have her as a companion! I feel so blessed!

Anyways, on with the miracles. The line comes to mind "I have a feeling we are not in Kansas anymore." Taidong is so different from Taibei! But despite differences, even for this area we still saw unbelievable miracles. This week we found a total of 13 new investigators! 13!!! What?!! In my last areas we were lucky to find 1 or 2! God is seriously guiding the work because there is no way we did anything to help this happen. The story behind our finding each new investigator is as crazy as the next! I will just share a couple.

First off, one day both of our afternoon appointments canceled so we found ourselves with a lot of time on our hands. Just as we hung up the phone with the person who cancelled, a woman rode up on her scooter. Xie MaMa was someone who had met Sister Lin last transfer but never set up to meet. We asked her if she had time right then and she said yes, so we started heading for the church to sit down. Then, on our way there she said, "It would actually be better if we met at that Family Mart. Can you wait there for me for ten minutes while I grab something from home?" So we did. In those 10 minutes we met a man named Zeng sitting at a table who really had no interest at first. But then Xie MaMa came back and right after the opening prayer the man joined us and they both loved it and came to church together! Woa!

Then we found two more new investigators because one of our current investigators called and said, "I have two friends right now over at my house that want to meet you." So we went, and both of the friends set baptismal dates right then and there! It was a miracle!

Then one night we were riding off to go knock doors in a different area and we passed by a family barbecue. We passed by, but then sister Lin said, "I think we should turn around and talk to those people outside." So we turned around and it turns out one of their friends is a member and they already knew about Joseph Smith and had plans to attend church on Sunday with their friend!!! Wow! I am so grateful for Sister Lin and her example of following the spirit.

Last one that I have time to share - we were riding over to visit a less active in our branch when we saw a mother sitting outside watching her three young boys. We didn't stop then, but the member was not home, so on or way back, we stopped to talk to the mom. She is awesome! We have already met with her three times and she is reading the Book of Mormon and praying and really has a lot of faith in the hope that Christ brings!

This week I have felt particularly grateful and humbled to be a part of these miracles. I honestly never thought it was possible. My faith was so small. But Elder Bednar once said something to the effect of, "Do your best, and then get out of the way!" Gods ways are truly above our own. He has a plan, and if we are doing our best we can be blessed to be a part of it. It reminds me of a scripture in 2 Nephi 25:23, "It is by grace we are saved, after all we can do." I know that "all we can do" is so pathetically small compared to the grace that God can give us. We seriously did not do anything particularly special this week - just did the best we could to be good missionaries. But despite our weaknesses, God blessed us. God's plan is GREAT!!!! So much greater that anyone could ever imagine!

This Gospel is so true! I am so grateful to have it in my life! I love you all and hope you can each continue to read and pray and develop your own testimonies of Jesus Christ. And when you do develop your own Testimony, for crying out loud get out there and SHARE IT! There is no greater joy than seeing someone else's life lit by the gospel of Jesus Christ.

Love,
Sister Collyer

PS - This is a picture of one of the nicer places that we get to contact in. Man, this place is full of crusty homes and tons of humble people! I love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment