Friday, July 9, 2010

July 5, 2010

Dear Friends and Family,

Happy 4th of July! It really doesn't mean anything here, but I dreamed of fireworks and hot dogs last night, so all was fantastic.

This week has been quite fantastic! A couple really funny experiences happened to me that I really want to share.
First, the WORM! We were writing a note to an investigator and we were standing outside her house when suddenly something fell out of the sky and bounced off the paper we were writing on and hit the ground. We looked down to see what on earth fell, and it was a worm! And it was tied in a knot! I have no idea where it fell from - there was nothing above us at all. A bird must have accidentally dropped it, but it was crazy! It spent the next five minutes trying to untie itself. I don't really know why this worm made such a big impression on me, but it did. :) So that was the WORM.

Next, we were meeting with one of our recent converts and sharing scriptures. We shared 2 Nephi 4: 20-21 where Nephi is saying that God has been his support and has filled him with love "even unto the consuming of my flesh." Our new member was really confused. Then it occurred to us all - the Chinese translation for "consuming" is "burning." She was like, "why would you want your flesh to burn!?" We had a good laugh about it, and since the word "consuming" is hard to define even in English, let alone trying to make some kind of translation in Chinese, we moved on to another scripture. I though it was hilarious. :)

Last night we had a new member fireside for all of Taibei, so I got to see a ton of people from my first area and it was so much fun! I loved it! I saw my old companion Sister Ackerson and a couple people that were with me in the MTC and it was so great to see some of the members from Danshui again. I love firesides! Apparently they are every month here, so I will get to see a lot of them. :)

Well, unfortunately I do not have a lot of time this week, but I truly love you all so much! I have such a strong testimony that when we try to do what is right, God will magnify our efforts. When things get hard, that is when God can truly show his power, so keep going strong! The Lord is always with us. He is not standing around to mock us when we fall, but rather he is standing by us to lift us, guide us, and help us. I know this is true because I have seen it so many times already. This gospel - the Gospel of Jesus Christ - is truly a gospel of love and hope. God lives! Christ is our Savior! Prophets are back!

Love,
Sister Collyer

The pictures are: first, our investigator Eve. She is awesome! And then our investigator Venus. She is great too! and, of course, the WORM!

No comments:

Post a Comment